Church News

Monday, March 17, 2014

Devotion - Day 13



21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession." 23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us." 24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." 25 The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said. 26 He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs." 27 "Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." 28 Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.



Thought: Here was a woman who desperately needed help for her daughter, and cried out for Jesus to do something. How many times have you prayed to God for someone who was in despair, dealing with life and death issues? And when you prayed, how did you pray? Did you by chance do what this Canaanite woman did? First, she yelled at Jesus. Then, she came to him and got down on her knees to make a case for her daughter. This mother knew without a doubt the only way for her daughter, who was in desperate need of help, to be healed was through Jesus. When crying out to Jesus didn’t get her any results, she got down on bended knee to make her case once again. She had great faith in the ability for Jesus to heal her daughter. To whom do you turn when you are worried?



I remember as a young girl, looking forward to reading the advice column by Ann Landers. She answered all kinds of issues people wrote in about. As a young girl, I didn’t realize that she couldn’t fix peoples problems or that she wasn’t the person we should turn to with our problems. I never wrote in to her, but enjoyed reading the needs of her followers. I think now how silly that was to think that mine or anyone’s problems could be solved by writing in to an advice column. I’m sure Ann Landers did help people over her career, but I wonder how many people’s problems weren’t resolved and could have if they had just stopped and prayed.



If we look back through history in the Bible we read that David was very faithful in prayer. David said, “I yell with all my might. I yell at the top of my lungs. He listens.”

(Psalm 77:1)



The Bible refers many times to people crying out, speaking audibly with great emotion concerning an urgent need. God invites us to use this form of prayer to communicate that we desperately need His mercy. Crying out is a form of surrendering to him, demonstrating our humility and faith in him. It shows that we trust in his ability to handle our problems.



“With all my might I shout up to GOD, His answers thunder from the holy mountain.” (Psalm 3:4)



As you reflect on your journey with Jesus, when was the last time you were so serious about a concern you had, whether for yourself or someone else that you literally got down on your knees to pray? Have you ever been so concerned about someone or something that you knew only God could provide an answer for—that you refused to take no for an answer?



Prayer: Jesus, forgive me when I don’t find or take the time to talk with you about the serious concerns in my life. Help me treat you more like my best friend, rather than just a friend. Help me to have enough passion for people in need to even yell at you. Amen.



Questions:

1.      What one thing could you do to improve your prayer and devotional life this year?

2.      What would it take for you to raise your voice to God in prayer?