Church News

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Devotion - Day 9



“For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life.” – John 3:16 (Amplified)



Thought: The disciples knew from Jesus’ teachings how much the Father loved them as well as Jesus himself. This promise of eternal life and love made the journey well worth it. The disciples did not follow Jesus because of what they could get out of it, but in hopes of continuing Jesus’ work. 



God is a loving, compassionate God, who wants to have a personal relationship with each and every one of us. God touches us all in many different ways, at many different times in our life. As a teacher, I get to see the excitement of my students when they have been touched by our loving God. I love to hear their stories and share in their joy and spiritual walk.  As I reflect on this verse, one particular student comes to mind. I remember when she accepted Christ as her Savior and the joy and love she felt in her heart. She could not wait to tell me all about it.  


Her story told in her words, “This scripture, John 3:16, means so much to me, it is difficult to find just the right words to say. I don’t want to say anything that would minimize the meaning or affect these words have had on my life. I love everything about this verse. It touches my heart down deep, not a superficial love. It is not the same love as my short lived relationships with boys or even the love I have for my family. I love my family very much, but this love is different and much deeper. I know that no matter what I do He loves me and always will! I love how God says, “He loved the world,” all of us, so much that he was willing to give his only son’s life to free us from sin. It is amazing and incredible to me that he would give up the life of his son for sinners. Jesus died for ME and YOU, so that we could live.  He died to take away our sins. I also love where it says, “that whoever shall believe in him shall not parish but have ever lasting life!” This verse has meant so much to me since the time I was baptized, and asked the Lord to come into my life. It has had a true meaning to me! I know that I can turn over my sins to Him, and know that he will forgive me for all I’ve done wrong in my life. I know I can go to him for anything at anytime day or night! He is MY savior, and I am forever grateful for all He is and does for ME and YOU!


Love is shown in our actions. God is love in action. Jesus is love in action. This is what God wants us to reflect every day, love in action. In what ways do you, regularly, express God’s love in action to the lives you touch every day?


Prayer: Jesus, help me be your love in action for the lives I touch. Amen


Questions:

1.      What is something you could do or change to become a more “love in action” person?

2.      Would you be willing to give up everything to follow Jesus like the disciples did?