Church News

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Devotion - Day 18

45 When Jesus entered the temple courts, he began to drive out those who were selling. 46 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be a house of prayer; but you have made it ‘a den of robbers.”  47 Every day he was teaching at the temple. But the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the leaders among the people were trying to kill him. 48 Yet they could not find any way to do it, because all the people hung on his words. (Luke 19:45-48)

Thought: In Luke 19, we find the story of Jesus cleaning the house of God as He went into the temple and drove out the moneychangers. These temple merchants were taking advantage of people and keeping them from God, and this angered Jesus. This is the second time in scripture that Jesus had to cleanse the temple. In the gospel of John, we read that Jesus made a whip to drive out the moneychangers. In studying the gospel we learn that little messes turn into big messes.

My husband and I are exact opposites when it comes to cleaning our house. My approach is to clean and organize daily, so that over time little messes don’t become big ones. However, my husband’s approach is to procrastinate, his motto, is never do today what you could put off until tomorrow!

I believe there is a parallel to our own lives in this story. Initially, when we come to Christ, we ask for His forgiveness and He pardons us of all our iniquities. In fact, we are told in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” How wonderful it is to realize that God has forgiven us of all our sin.

Still, as a little time passes, sometimes some of those old sins can find their way back into our lives. And that so called “little” sin begins to grow and become a problem. Don’t let “little” messes turn into big ones.

Prayer: Gracious Father, thank you for providing me the direction and opportunity of prayer. To know that you listen to my words, my thoughts, and my heart is simply overwhelming. Help me hunger more for these special times in your presence. Give me wisdom and understanding as I pray and seek your will. Do your will in my life as I seek your presence. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Questions:
1.      Does your temple need cleansing?
2.      Are there some vices, some bad habits that have found their way back into your life? If so, deal with them now.