Church News

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Devotion - Day 4

When Jesus had finished saying all this to the people who were listening, he entered Capernaum. There a centurion’s servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die. The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant. When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with him, “This man deserves to have you do this, because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue.” Luke 7:1-5

Thought: When you visit a store, do you go because of what you need to get, or do you go to spend time with people who work there? Most of you would answer the same way. However, it wasn’t always that way. When I was a young girl, I can still remember spending many weekends with my grandma Totty in Redlands, CA. It was always fun going to Grandma’s house. She taught me how to quilt and even helped me make a baby quilt for my fifth grade teacher. She would always make me feel special by making me my very own individual apple pie. She made the best chocolate chip cookies and chicken noodle soup I have ever had. It was one of the best treats of my life to go to Grandma’s house.

Why did I like to go there? Well, of course, I loved my grandma and spending time with her, but as a young girl it wasn’t about the relationship I had with her, but about what I was going to get. The excitement I felt when I knew I was going to grandmas was wonderful! Grandma was an amazing baker and I loved to bake with her. We would bake pies and cookies and she would always save a little dough for me to eat. Surprisingly, I loved to wash dishes back in the day, and so grandma would fill the sink with dishes just so I could wash them. She had no dishwasher, we were the dishwasher! And a real treat was playing dress up with all her costume jewelry.

My dad owned his own business, and so I spent many days with my grandma at the store. Many people came by just to visit and talk with my dad and grandma. I had a lot of fun playing in the back of my dad’s shop, making forts out of empty television boxes, and going on service calls with him to different people’s homes. I was sure to get something out of each stop. Dad would visit with the people and I collected the treats. Another great benefit about being at dad’s shop was getting to go to the local convenient store just down the street. Eddie, the owner, would give me anything I wanted, unlimited candy and pop, what more could a kid ask for! My dad enjoyed spending time visiting with Eddie. When I was bored, I knew it was just a hop and a skip down the street to Eddie’s for more goodies!

As a young girl, I loved spending time with my grandma and going to my dad’s work because of what I was going to get, not because of the relationship that I had with them or the people’s lives we touched by visiting with them. It wasn’t until I was older that I realized how important those relationships were to me. I learned that dad didn’t always visit a customer or go to the local convenient store because he had business to do or needed something, but he had a relationship with them. This is true with my relationship with God. I have to stop and ask myself, is my relationship with God focused on what I can get from Him, or on who I am and can be with God? 

As the crowds gathered around Jesus during His three years of ministry, do you think people came because of who He was, or for what they might get? In the Gospels, you will find story after story of people coming to Jesus because he could do something for them. People called out to Him, tried to touch his clothing, begged for his help. Friends of those who were sick or helpless tried to get their sick friend to Jesus in the hope that He would be able to help them.

Are we any different today? As you reminisce about past conversations you have had with God, have they involved being still and listening for his guidance and to discern his will for your life? Or are your thoughts focused on the problems you face and trying to resolve them? 

Prayer: Gracious God, open my heart and mind to seek a relationship with you for who you are and not for what I can gain from you, in Jesus name. Amen.


Questions:

1. How is your prayer life in terms of loving God verses asking for things?
2. Do you trust God enough to say “Thy will be done,” or do you tell God what you need?