Church News

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Devotion - Day 8



Thought: Jesus walked those dusty roads of Palestine with one exclusive purpose in mind, namely to introduce Eternal God to anyone who would listen. He had no other agenda. When he began calling for some to follow him, he expected them to do exactly what he was doing-reflect Eternal God. Nothing has changed. How are you doing as a reflector of Eternal God?



Psalm 46:10 says, “Step out of the traffic. Take a long, loving look at me, your…God!” Nothing has ever changed since humans found themselves on the outside of the Garden of Eden. They have wanted to go faster, and faster, and yet faster. They have wanted to go farther, and farther, and yet farther. They have wanted more, and more, and yet more. We never want to be found in a situation where we don’t have anything to do. If we don’t have something to do, then we make up something to do. However, we forget to think of the consequence of our actions when we forget to reflect on the Eternal God.



My mother almost paid the price with her life by her need to do more, and more, and yet more. I would like to share my mother’s story in her own words, “For years I worked hard and thrived on my success. I was proud of myself for my commitment to my family. I went to church every Sunday and raised my children in the church and Christian school. I thought I was doing everything correctly because I was being a good person, but what I was really doing was following my own plan and not His. All those years I would put the Lord away in a nice safe place when need be. I always love Him and counted on Him. I asked Him every morning when I got into my car to keep me safe and to keep my family safe. I just knew he would, but then I was off and running. I never slowed down enough to listen to Him.



I knew it was time for a change, but I just didn’t listen. Even after moving to Alabama for a slower pace, I continued that same fast pace not out of necessity, but because I needed that kind of pace and success. I had every warning God could possibly give me and I just didn’t listen. For almost two years I ignored signs because nothing could slow me down. Surprise, He will slow us down when He has had enough just like we do with our children.



Surprisingly, the night I coded was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I arrived by ambulance, and the nurses, doctors, and my family were in a state, but I wasn’t. Remember how He has promised to never leave us. I was laying on the gurney and I heard the most wonderful music and I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. I felt like I had this warm comforting cocoon around me. Peace, comfort, pain gone, and then the heart attack hit, and I was across the room looking down at my lifeless body with no attachment at all. I knew who was with me and I wanted to stay right where I was, not back in that body. We don’t always know what is in the plan for us, but I know if we would slow down and talk to the Lord and be still and listen to Him talking to us we could save ourselves a lot of pain. We cause most of our own problems. God is so real to me now that I feel like I can close my eyes and reach out and feel His presence. He is always there for everyone; it is us who are absent. Slow down and be present. It will change your life!   



Not until we learn to prioritize time to search for, ponder, discuss, and probe the mysteries of God will we ever discover them.



Prayer: Jesus, help me slow down, get out of the traffic, and listen for God. Amen.



Questions:

1.      Describe ways in which you reflect the love of God to others.

2.      Name one new way you will reflect God, and how are you going to find the time to do it.